The next morning, we got up at 4am to try and climb Volcán Maderas. Neftali had told us that it was a difficult climb, but that if we set off early and the weather was OK then getting to the summit was just a matter of persistence. But when we got up we found that the rain was beating down mightily outside. This was a change from the norm, but it was only several days later that we discovered what the cause was - Hurricane Keith was sitting just off the east coast of Nicaragua, and causing torrential rains all over Nicaragua.
So we decided not to get the 4.30am bus to Balgüe, from where a trail leads up Volcán Maderas. By 9am the rain had stopped, and so we decided to try our luck with the climb. We took the bus around the island, through many small villages and beaches on the shores of Lago de Nicaragua, and arrived at Balgüe at about 10.30am. From Balgüe, a sign saying 'La cumbre - 3 horas' points up the mountain, and we set out along it. It led after about half an hour to the Finca Magdalena, a coffee farm where we met two Argentinian volunteer workers, and we asked them whether the climb was still possible after the earlier rains. They advised against it, saying it was slippery at the best of times and probably impossible right now.
So we appreciated the views from Finca Magdalena over to the other side of the lake, twenty miles away, before heading down again to Balgüe. From here, we decided, we would walk to Santo Domingo, a beach about 7km away. Though it was overcast, it was warm, and we didn't know there was a hurricane about 200 miles away and moving closer, so we set off. We walked north along the winding road, passing a few straggling houses for the first half hour or so, but then being out of sight of civilization. There was just the odd farmer walking to or from his fields. After a couple of hours walking we came to a deserted beach and stopped to rest for a while.
We didn't see anyone else in the half hour or so we sat on the beach, and it certainly felt desolate with its black sand and battered driftwood. It was incredibly hot, but I decided I was getting used to it these days. Having cooled our boots in Lago de Nicaragua, we carried on.
The latter stages of the walk were less pleasant. We were attacked by swarms of huge flying beetles about two inches long and very fat, which kept on flying into our faces. We were also bothered by giant dragonflies. I don't like insecty things even in the UK, and soon I was so traumatised that even the sudden appearance of a butterfly made me jump. And then it started to rain, quickly turning into an epic downpour. We tried to carry on walking, but before long we were soaked to the skin, and took shelter under a tree. This didn't do much good, but it was all we had, and we stayed there until a bus passed by, and we hopped squelching aboard. As it turned out we were about a hundred metres from Santo Domingo, where there is a café with a roof and cold drinks, but we didn't know this as we stood under the tree.
So we went back to Altagracia, and made plans to visit the Salto San Ramon, a waterfall a couple of hours hike away from a village on the south end of the island. We spoke to Neftali again, and told him of our failure to climb Maderas, and our plans to go to the waterfall. "I'd say don't go if the weather's bad", he told us. "It's a really slippery trail, and the river can flood after heavy rains."
The rain kept us awake for most of the night, and though we made a cursory attempt to get up at 5.30am, the trek to the waterfall was clearly not on. It rained more or less all day. For a brief time it calmed down to a light drizzle, and we went for a wander around the village, discovering its tiny museum of pre-Columbian artefacts, before the rain set in again for the evening.
In the evening, we met Adam and Song, two Americans who had been Peace Corps volunteers in the Dominican Republic for the past two years, and were making their way home overland, having flown into Panama. They were also keen to climb a mountain, and we agreed that we would try and climb Maderas one more time the next day.
Sadly, the rain got worse, and from about 9pm onwards it was a downpour. It continued through the night, and once again our getting up at 4am was a token effort. It was clear that we were going to have to give up on Maderas and move on. We decided to leave that day. The rain abated as we got the ferry back across the lake, but when we reached the mainland it was coming down once again. As we boarded a bus heading for our next destination, Granada, we hoped that things would improve.